Saturday, October 23, 2010

Division and Exponents

Division
Multiplication and division are inverse operations. We arrive at division facts by knowing multiplication facts. There are three terms to describe division: dividend, divisor, and quotient.
    
                                         12   ¸     =   3
                                     dividend        divisor     quotient

Division of Whole Numbers
For any whole number and s, with  s ¹ 0, the quotient of r divided by s, written    r ¸ s, is the whole number k, if it exists, such that r = s x k.
Example:
               18 ¸ 3 = 6 because 3 x 6 = 18

Please visit the website Itcoline.net if you want any extra information about this subject.

True and False Statements:
         A.  5 ¸ 0 = 0  false since  0 x 0 ¹ 5
         B.  0 ¸ 5 = 0   true since   5 x 0 = 0
         C.  0 ¸ 0 = 0   false since  0 x ? = 0   0 ¸  0  =  any number   many answers (not a unique solution).

Concepts of Division
There are two concepts of division: The sharing (partitive) concept and the measurement (subtractive) concept.

Sharing/partitive
Illustrating the sharing/partitive concept of division. Suppose you have 30 colored chips, which you want to divide among 6 friends. How many colored chips would each friend receive?
          30 ¸  6 = 5
                       1    2    3    4    5    6
                        I     I     I     I     I     I                      
                        I     I     I     I     I     I          
                        I     I     I     I     I     I         five each      
                        I     I     I     I     I     I
                        I     I     I     I     I     I

Measurement/subtractive
Illustrating the measurement/subtractive concept of division. Suppose you have 30 colored chips and want to give 6 colored chips to as many friends as possible. How many friends would receive colored chips?
            30 ¸ 6 = 5
                              1   I I I I I I
                              2   I I I I I I
                              3   I I I I I I          five friends
                              4   I I I I I I
                              5   I I I I I I
                                 
 Division Theorem
For any whole numbers a and b, with divisor b ¹  0, there are whole numbers q (quotient) and r (remainder) such that
                                                divisor
                                         a  =   b +   r remainder
                                     dividend      quotient
and £ r < b.
Example:
               5 x 2 + 2 = 12    «    12 ¸ 5 = 2 r 2

The remainder r is always less than the divisor b. If r = 0, then the quotient a ¸ b is the whole number q.

Mental Calculations and Estimation
Equal Quotients
Multiply or divide both the dividend and divisor by the same number.
Examples:
           1.    400 ¸ 16 = (400 ¸ 4) (16 ¸ 4) = 100 ¸ 4 = 25

           2.    77 ¸ 21 = (77 ¸ 7) (21 ¸ 7) = 11 ¸ 3 = 3 r 2


Compatible Numbers
Using compatible numbers is useful for mental estimating quotients (round to easy numbers).
Example:
              92 ¸» 90 ¸ 9 = 10

Rounding
Rounding is one method of estimating a quotient.

             145 ¸ 23 » 150 ¸ 25 = 6

Front-End Estimation
This technique can be used to obtain an estimated quotient of two numbers by using the leading digit of each number. The following example use both the compatible numbers and front-end estimation.

             783 ¸ 244  » 700 ¸ 200 = 7  ¸ 2 = 3 ½


Exponents
Exponentiation
The operation of raising numbers to a power is called exponentiation. A number in the form bn is said to be in exponential form;  b is called the nth power of  b. For any number b and any whole number n, with b and n not both zero, 

                                          b = b x b x b x b x b x . . . x b     
                                                         b occurs n times

 Where  b  is  called  the  base  and  n  is  called  the  exponent.  in case  n = 0  or  n = 1,  b= 1 and  b1 = b.
                                                                                                               
Laws of Exponents
For any number a and all whole numbers m and n, except for the case where the base and exponents are both zero,
              aam  an + m
                 an ¸ am  = an - m         for a ¹ 0

For more information about law of exponents go to the Oak Road Systems website.

Evaluating Exponential Expressions
Multiplication and division can be performed easy with numbers that are written as powers of the same base. To multiply, we add the exponents; to divide, we subtract the exponents.
Examples:
            1.    322 x 38 = 330
            2.    73 x 7= 711
               3.    4¸ 4= 44
               4.    1032¸  1015 = 1017

For repeated multiplication we use exponents:

                                           3= 3 x 3 x 3 x 3 x 3
                                           64 = 6 x 6 x 6 x 6

Order of Operations
Parentheses (or grouping symbols) first;  then numbers raised to a power (exponents) are evaluated; next products and quotients (multiplication/division) are computed from left to right; finally sums and differences are calculated from left to right.

Most of the information on this blog was taken from the text book: Mathematics for Elementary Teachers and from other sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment